1. Poop. Seriously, poop. Ideally, everyone should be going at least once a day, but 2-3 times a day is stellar. Poop is how many of the toxins we have exit the body. This is why fibre is so important in the diet! So, eat your greens.
2. Eat. Not just any food, but these foods, cos they are superstars at helping to mobilise and flush out toxins:
- Selenium rich foods like brazil nuts, walnuts and eggs.
- Cruciferous veggies like Cabbage, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts are ideal foods.
- Foods like asparagus, peppers, carrots, onion, broccoli, avocados, squash, spinach, and garlic which can help boost glutathione levels. Glutathione has been called the “mother of all antioxidants” and it’s a powerhouse.
- Eat plenty of bitter vegetables like parsley and rocket.
3. Take a daily milk thistle supplement. Milk thistle is considered the “king” of detoxifying herbs, making it ideal for a liver cleanse. Milk thistle helps to eliminate the buildup of heavy metals, medications, environmental pollutants and alcohol in the liver. The active ingredient silymarin helps to strengthen the cell walls in the liver, while supporting healthy regeneration.
4. Drink herbal teas like dandelion or green tea which are both excellent for liver support.
- Dandelion tea is one of nature’s best detox foods. It is rich in vitamin A, potassium, iron and calcium, and is a diuretic that will eliminate toxins through your liver, lymph and kidneys.
- Green teas, especially matcha tea, which can help excrete fat soluble toxins, and cleanse and protect the liver.
5. Sip a liver detox juice throughout the day, for a week if you can manage it, which will give your liver some extra loving.
Liver Detox Drink
- Dilute cranberry juice with a ratio of 3 parts water to 1 part cranberry juice.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon each of nutmeg and ginger and a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon into a tea infuser and let steep in simmering water for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add the juice of 1 orange and 3 lemons and stir. If the mixture is too tart, sweeten with stevia or another natural sweetener.
- Sip throughout the day.
When you make these foods and drinks part of your daily life, and not just part of a “detox” protocol, they can have a dramatic effect on the health of your liver, and on your overall health.